This NaNo

I have officially decided that I will be participating in NaNoWriMothis year! And I've also decided exactly what I'll be writing.

If you've been around since last year, you'll know that last November I won NaNoWriMo (wrote a 50000 word novel in a month). As I mentioned in my Post-NaNo Report, I learned a few things, primarily that the crazy, slapdash, get-the-words-out pace of NaNo is not the most effective writing method for me. All I did was create 50,000 words of incomprehensible disaster. I wasn't certain at the time that I would be participating again.

But there are some reasons that draw me back to NaNo this year. It is fun to be part of such an effort along with so many other amazing people. And there is something about a crazy public goal that brings out my competitive determined side. And let's face it - writing is usually a pretty lonely endeavor. NaNo is anything but.

So I'm going for it again this year, though I'm not starting an entirely new story. My goal is to finish Thieves. Whether it takes 50,000 words or 20,000 words, if I finish the story I will consider this year's NaNo a success.

My problem with writing too fast is that it takes me a while to develop a story to the point I can write it. Without the percolating time, anything I try to do turns into more of a hot mess than usual. The benefit of finishing Thieves is that I've been developing it for nearly a year. This past weekend I finished developing and outlining the second half of the story. I'll be able to focus on just writing it from here on. Or that's the plan. We'll see how it turns out :)

If you write, have written, or want to write "someday," then I hope you'll pick up your pen this November and join in. It's a super fun and super valuable effort. And there's never going to be a better or worse time than right now.

Labels: , , ,